Monday, September 14, 2009

The visitors

Hi everyone,

Rather than try and make comparisons or even begin to discuss many of my thoughts on the visitors this week I am just going to recap what I gathered of importance from their conversations. I think because I have had a completely different experience both here in the rural school and throughout my life, I just don't see things the same way they did and I really need to focus on the facts they presented as opposed to the feelings they seem to share.

First, it was nice to see that two young teachers have the optimism and the conviction coming out of this program and entering in to the job field. I absolutely respect that and hope that more people with that drive step up to the role of teachers. I think that should be one of the chief deciding factors in renewing licenses and showing progress in classrooms. I think the work they discussed accomplishing is the reflection of that trait. When we were hearing about movies being made and tech infused in to lessons, that's awesome. Using some of the strategies out of Burkes book and applying it in the classroom and then sharing the positive outcomes in a positive way like these two teachers discussed is motivating. This is the positive reinforcement that we need. Especially when you get to the schools and find that there are a couple of these teachers in place. It's great to know they are out there.

A great deal of their discussion did seem to focus on the amount of work involved and the dedication factors of teaching which I know I possess and the ethics involved in the devotion to that duty. Rather then go in to this and make comparisons or contrasts between my experiences and theirs I think it's best summed up by acknowledging the diversity in this vocation. Many teachers come from many different experiences, both limited and vast, but their will ends up writing their story and validating their professionalism. It sounds like they have benefited from their preparation prior to going out in to the field and I like hearing about these positives.

I apologize for this post being short and not as full of substance. I actually have redone this about three times trying to come up with the right focus and positive way to respond to my thoughts on the guest speakers. Like I mentioned initially, I just had an alternate take on what was being discussed by the guest speakers, but I respect their insight and their willingness to come and share with us their experiences. It's nice to have this venue and forum for this to occur. None of my previous education has allowed for that. It gives me a few more ideas to apply in my classroom through this example.

1 comment:

larry meath said...

Your experience in rural AK is by nature, different from an urban setting. No apologies are necessary for differences in opinion...that's what this forum is about...keeping everything civil, of course (a hot topic these days). I am curious about which issues presented by Sarah and Paul cause the most discomfort, but I also appreciate the restraint you have shown and the positive slant to your comments.