Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Digested

Ok, so I had time to take in everything that Amy had to say and at first I was optimistic and very ready to try this out. Now, it works in a sense with my students that I have for Am Hist 2 and Language Arts, but with the other History (Soc Studies) teacher it doesn't. I approached her with some very similar ideas that I picked up from the discussion on Wed. And, as I find often with "seasoned teachers" is the aversion to anything and anyone new. There was a lot of responses from my fellow teachers which sound very positive, but I am finding meet with little action. I know this is a case by case type of issue, so I will keep from throwing the stereotypes and the misgivings around about our veteran co-workers.
SO focusing on all the positives of the visitors and the interaction with the social studies teachers is paramount. I enjoyed the chaotically quick tempo of the class and the vibe you get from listening to determined people who have a lot of confidence in what they are doing (or at least sound confident) I also really took a bit of what was discussed and thought about how it would be beneficial if team teachers cross-trained and took on the professional development principle of getting highly qualified in the roles they share with their co-worker. So, I personally have planned to go get another Praxis 2 test knocked out this winter and will see if I need to do anything else to prepare for the potential of putting this style of teaching to practice. There is a new, young science teacher in my high school who is very open to the idea of team teaching, so maybe I can look at coming up with a few ideas to connect more with the sciences and language arts. I know it's a stretch, but then I figure maybe that's how Sci-Fi was once created!!??!! Any thoughts?

1 comment:

larry meath said...

Convincing others to leave their tried and true paths is no small feat. Amy and Beth have the luxury of shared beliefs and this became the catalyst to a successful experiment. Even though Beth was not present, she shares a similar exuberance which, by itself, is infectious. Your idea of becoming highly qualified in other subjects areas to enable you to effectively become a team of one is one way to solve the problem. I wouldn't give up on others too easily, but as you note, it is not always easy to convince others as to the merits of great ideas. English is an easy match for most other disciplines--just as you point out with the merging of science and fiction.