Thursday, September 10, 2009

On Sarah Dimmick's & Paul Meritt's visit

One of Sarah's comments that stands out to me most just now is the idea of having a teaching "persona" (this came up during the discussion of classroom management).  I, too, feel that there is a stronger, more theatrical 'me' when working with groups of teenagers, a version with a different resonance to her voice and an ability to make a fool of herself.  I wonder if that isn't one of the bigger accomplishments of those with longevity in education: to integrate the persona with the 'the real', to relax and inhabit themselves, to feel the division blur and then disappear.

Another topic that stands out is that idea that, during your first year, in terms of planning it can feel like it's just you and the district curriculum staring down a blank syllabus.  I immediately found that idea thrilling, then wondered if it was only the concept I found exciting.  I do realize now that, despite enjoying my mentor teachers as people and as educators, I am longing for a bit more autonomy at this exact, present moment.  I've never been very patient.  Sometimes that's good.  But I am very often reminded these days that I need to slow down and fully notice some things, enjoy where I'm at.  There's always more stress on the horizon, and nostalgia for the past.

And, as regards the comments on teaching poetry, I feel that the image that best encapsulates what I'd hope to do with students and poetry texts goes back to Billy Collins' image of "dropping the mouse into the poem" and seeing how it finds its way out. What words does it bump against?  What tickles the whiskers?  Where is he stopping out of confusion?

3 comments:

larry meath said...

For some, the persona and the person are one in the same. I feel, though, that my classroom identity was not the same as the person I was outside of the classroom. I don't think I was insincere,but maybe more aware of my status as a role model. The differences were slight in most respects, but they existed.

Your metaphor for poetry is perfect...and perhaps not limited to poetry...some stories follow a similar path to the denouement.

cejordan2 said...

I agree with Sarah that you need to create a teacher "persona." Having known many of my students for several years, it could be difficult to distinguish between my role as a parent and volunteer in Juneau, and that of an English teacher at the high school. Students appreciate familiarity, but also accept that inside the classroom, there is a different set of social expectations. They can accept that as their teacher, I will be friendly, but I also will enforce the rules of the school and maintain an atmosphere of learning in my room.

On the topic of curriculum and instruction, my first year I relied on our curriculum document as a guideline for what main topics I should cover, and utilized the teacher's edition for specific ideas and activities. As a first year teacher, I was extremely busy with the management of grading, particularly essays. It is important to schedule assignments so the grading load is manageable, and to give yourself permission not to have everything graded overnight.

Participant Observer said...

Cat,
I too am feeling the desire for a bit more autonomy, and daily have to remind myself that I will have it in a year.
To help combat that, I've been really diligent about keeping a journal when I am in class observing—I've been jotting down not only the classroom activities, how students respond, and how I would do things if I were teaching the exact same lesson. I'm finding that to be a useful exercise in developing my own persona (even though she is mostly observing at the moment) ... and patience. :)