Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thinking it Through: Gayle Pierce's visit

      The hardest part about deciding the legalities on each of the case studies presented in our last class session was coming to terms with the idea that there was "no going back".  The actions had already been committed; it wasn't time to replay the scenario and discuss what should have been done differently.  What I learned from Gayle Pierce's visit was that, as a teacher, before I speak or act in a way that curtails student expression I need to always ask 1) is this (action or phrase) my only option? and, if not 2) is it the best option? In some situations there may be time to consult with an an appropriate friend/administrator.  Some times there may only be a few minutes available in which to make a choice.  If no one is in immediate danger, as a teacher, I should take those minutes to think it through.
       I found Gayle approachable, clarifying, patient, and kind.  She seems like a wonderful student advocate.  I wouldn't hesitate to ask her advice if needed. 

1 comment:

larry meath said...

Clearly, teachers have enough on their plate without having to second guess every potential classroom conversation for legalities. The main idea, I think, is to give you a context for discussions so when sticky issues arise, you have some background and can react accordingly. Bottom line, teachers have fewer free speech rights than students, especially concerning religion and politics.