Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gayle's visit

This was a great presentation. I really enjoyed looking at her slides showing the different pieces of factual law that can guide how we should conduct our classes and what to be cautious of when it comes to discussions or projects.

I had some questions about the limits I can push as a teacher and I emailed them to Prof. Meath. Mostly my concern is what are we giving up by being extremely cautious in this day and age. Really, it comes down to doing what we feel we can afford to do as the teachers.

Ultimately, I am taking away a few things from this presentation. I have to be aware and I have to spend time thinking about the global implications of the things we do and say as teachers. Students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and so do their parents. We have to be aware that everything we do and say will be sent home altered, so making sure we are very clear and well documented is obviously the big picture I now see more clearly.

1 comment:

larry meath said...

Religion and politics are two dangerous areas for teachers when we decide to stand on the soap box. Common sense should prevail. Teachers do not need to "hold court" or create a "bully pulpit" with their classes.