Thursday, December 3, 2009

Susan Stitham & Shakespeare

I had the pleasure of first being introduced to Susan when I first entered the SOE program. She was the guest of honor/keynote speaker and boy did she speak. She spoke, for whatever length of time, without a breath of air.

I wasn't peeved by the lack of brevity but she had my full attention because she was talking about Shakespeare and OSHA. She had a lot of good points and I was particularly impressed because she was above or at least on par with my Shakespeare professor at the University. Anyway, she is a fantastic speaker who has the ability to embark on many topics and, for the most part, find her way back full circle. Usually.

I'm slightly jealous of Susan's speaking capabilities because she remains so close to the topic without going off on rampant tangents. I really would like to see her in a teaching setting because I bet the students would love her.

On a side note, I had recently found out that she sat in on a class (I don't remember when) that my old Shakespeare prof taught and she scoffed at a lot of his theories and ideas. I love insight like that because I, as a teacher, know we are not infallible.

2 comments:

cejordan2 said...

Susan Stitham Sonnet

Bloom’s taxonomy—attempt to balance
For students to achieve a higher goal.
Knowledge is basic and the lowest stance,
Invite the brain’s neurons working to glow.

Rigor relationships relevance do
Lay fertile ground for students to succeed.
Engage their minds in seeing themselves through,
Analysis, in all they write or read.

Essential Learning--pyramid apex
What students should know, be able to do;
At midpoint, assessments measure brain flex.
Support with scaffolding, practice, review.

Combine higher thought keep boredom at bay,
Synthesis is the key goal, she would say.

larry meath said...

Words fail me. Nevertheless, you've created "...A hit, a very palpable hit."