Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cullum and Greatness

The fact that Cullum was able to make these kids appreciate Shakespeare, Shaw, and Sophocles is a feat in itself. While watching the video I saw that his students were fully interested in the subject matter. I liked the debate style session he held with them, I thought that was unique. I didn't like his idea of the mississippi running through the classroom -- I just thought about all of the paper he was wasting.

I read on someone else's post something regarding his sexuality. I might have noticed or made a mental note questioning how the school/school board/district/etc. felt about this. I'm not implying anything in regards to Cullum but rather the thoughts and beliefs from that time period. I'm sure that things were difficult enough but just adding that in as a variable might've stirred the pot up more.

I guess that I'm most impressed with his ways to get the students involved. I know that it's difficult to incorporate learning and fun and entertainment into one little ball but even with his success there had to be some failure and I wonder what it looked like.

No comments: